Monday, September 6, 2010

And Off I Go...



I pride myself on being a seasoned traveler but that doesn't mean that I don't tend to over-pack or stuff my suitcase till it bursts or that I don't get those pre-departure jitters, what it means though, is that I don't start packing until the night before and this often turns out to be a COMPLETE disaster! Despite having flown in and out of the country 4 times in the last 6months, packing my life into a box really depresses me. Today was no different but instead of depression, I felt both anticipation and anxiety!

At 7:00am (Indian Standard Time)/9:30pm (Central Time), I set off for my new adventure! The flights were really packed but pleasant enough..however, the impending task looming ahead of me made my pulse race and my stomach cramp. I had to get off at London, change my money, buy multi-pin adapters, find the train station, make my way to Paddington Station, take a cab to my hotel and check myself in!

The mere thought of all of this, kept me awake during the entire flight (even though I usually sleep like a log!) but as the PA system announced our descent at 7pm (London Time), I looked out the window and there it was...the London Eye, glittering in the soft sunlight and all at once, my anxiety and tension were gone...I was in England...and one phrase kept running through my head..."The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire"...

...And yet the ordeal was hardly over! So, I get off at London Heathrow and it's no wonder that it's called the busiest airport in the world! An hour long immigration line, a short wait at baggage claim, 20mins of monetary transactions, a loooooooooong walk to the train station and a 15min train ride to Paddington Station and I was out on the streets of Central London in the steady rain. Having successfully completed the most daunting part of my journey, I confidently stood in the queue for a cab and soon arrived at the hotel safe and sound...orientation starts tomorrow! And the journey begins...

4 comments:

  1. ahhhhh, I'm soooo jealous!!! haha, but I guess that will be me in a few days!

    Enjoy yourself!! and here's hoping that my travels go as smoothly as yours!!

    BTW, my blog is madiperington.blog.com

    ooohhhh, and, you're getting a cell phone there, right? When you do, facebook me your number!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling...that was an old notion about the sun never setting on the British Empire ...to do with their colonisation culture...now the sun has set...just watch out for the expat indians ruling the roost there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know but when I was looking at the tiny island through the window of the plane, I found it rather ironic that at some point in time, that phrase could actually apply and not be ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete